Chef Insurance

get insurance quotes

Compare insurance quotes from selected UK specialists. Just fill out the simple one page form then relax and let the panel of specialist providers contact you directly. The quotation system is provided by our partner, Quotezone who have helped over two million users search for cheaper insurance quotes. Then select a policy and price to suit your needs.

A chef should only need to take out insurance of their own if they are self employed or doing work on a contract or freelance basis. If you are directly employed by someone else you will not normally need to arrange your own cover.

Which Insurances Does A Chef Need?

The only compulsory form of insurance for most types of business is employee liability, which obviously only applies if you are employing staff yourself. If you do not have staff then there are no mandatory forms of insurance, but as a chef you would be well advised to at least have public liability protection.

Public liability cover is there to guard against claims from any third party for injury or damages. As an example, if a customer got food poisoning and blamed your food, they may launch a claim against you. Another scenario could be that you have to go onto another person’s premises to work and you accidentally damage some of their property or equipment. That too could lead to a claim.

Having liability cover in place makes good business sense if you want to have the assurance that you are not going to be faced with one or more claims that could cost you a lot of money. It is not just the compensation that you might have to pay in damages, but your own legal costs in defending the case and the claimant’s costs too if you lose.

What Other Types of Insurance Are Applicable For A Chef?

If you work from your own premises then you may need building and contents insurance. If you are leasing premises then the building insurance is normally arranged by the landlord and passed on to you through the rent, but you need to check to make sure. If the premises are yours, then you definitely need to arrange building insurance yourself.

If you have fixed or portable equipment in your work premises you should have this covered against fire, theft, etc. Fixtures and fittings and large appliances will not be covered under a standard contents policy, so these need separate consideration.

The same applies to your stock too if you have substantial amounts of stock on the premises the value can be considerable. Stock insurance is usually available as an optional extra.

One other thing a chef might wish to have in place is revenue protection insurance. This is about replacing your income if your revenue stream is interrupted for some reason. The usual causes of interruption that you can insure against include fire damage, serious theft or equipment failure.