Fixtures and Fittings

The term fixtures and fittings can be one of those grey areas that you think is covered under one of your other insurance policies, but which actually is not. Your building insurance will cover the fabric of the building and the contents insurance will cover your personal belongings. Stock insurance will take care of the stock you have on the premises, but what about shelving, counters, kitchen units, display cases, etc?

Give some thought to those items of equipment that are not portable, but which are not part of the building fabric either. These are your fixtures and fittings and the cost of replacing these can be considerable. So you need to ensure that you have a policy in place that will actually cover these items too.

It is usually best to buy your businesses insurances together as you are likely to get a better deal. As well as building and contents cover you are also likely to need employee liability and public liability protection.